Now Hiring: Volunteers for Tax Return Preparation
Pasco County has a thriving volunteer income tax return program supported by United Way of Pasco County, AARP Tax-Aide, and the IRS VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) Program. Last year alone, we prepared and submitted more than 7,000 returns, which helped bring residents more than $7.2 million in income refunds!
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and the Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) programs are community-based partnerships managed by the IRS that provide free tax return preparation assistance to low-to moderate income taxpayers. This year the IRS has set the income limit at $57,000.
We are currently looking for additional volunteers who want to be part of this vital program by volunteering a few hours a week during tax season.
Top Ten Reasons You Should Volunteer to Help Prepare Tax Returns:
Here are five things the IRS wants you to know about becoming a VITA/TCE volunteer.
1. No previous experience is required. Volunteers receive specialized training from certified VITA/TCE volunteers and can serve as greeters, reviewers or tax preparers.
2. IRS provides free tax law and e-file training and all the materials needed to prepare basic individual income tax returns.
3. The hours are flexible. Volunteers are asked to serve an average of three to four hours per week from mid-January through April 15.
4. It’s convenient. Volunteer sites are generally located at community and neighborhood centers, libraries, schools and other convenient locations. We will have 10 county-wide sites in 2013.
5. Most VITA/TCE sites also offer free electronic filing of tax returns.
Here are five things the United Way of Pasco County wants you to know about becoming a VITA/AARP Tax-Aide volunteer and participating in the Prosperity Campaign.
1. You will make a difference. In Pasco County, more than 60% of our 182,321 households qualify to receive this free service. For elderly and working families with limited income, having to pay for a tax return is a genuine burden. You will help them avoid that added expense.
2.You will receive great training. The Prosperity Campaign in Pasco is so fortunate to have expert trainers who will guide you through each step and help you be fully prepared to be a preparer!
3. You’ll meet interesting people. The Pasco Prosperity Campaign is run by dedicated volunteers from all walks of life. You will join this esteemed group and meet lots of new people.
4. Your friends and neighbors will be envious of your newfound tax confidence. You’ll never again be intimidated by hearing the words, “Form 1040, schedules X, Y and Z”, as a trained, certified tax return volunteer, you will be an expert!
5. You will make a difference. Your time translates into well over $2 million tax filers will save by having their returns prepared through this program rather than private, for-profit companies.
Last year more than 125 local residents answered the call and volunteered in Pasco’s Prosperity Campaign. Anyone can volunteer. We promise it will be an exciting, educational and enjoyable experience that will make positively impact you and the people you serve!
Training starts in early January. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or Judith Tilton at UW Pasco, email@example.com for more information.